Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Maternity tickers

Monday, February 23, 2009

Hooray for Hollywood!

I've always had a thing for the movies. For my 6th birthday party, my family went to see a re-showing of "Return of the Jedi" at the old Artcraft Theatre in Franklin, Indiana (Hoosiers will know what I'm talking about!). I remember being quite little and watching Christopher Reeve in "Superman" and, quite simply, falling in love, as did my sister Katie (remember humming the theme songs in bed at night?). My parents used to take us to drive-in movies on Saturday nights in the summer, and we'd play on the swingset, in pajamas and with pink rollers in our hair(!), beneath the big screen until it got dark and the little animated hot dogs and soft drinks started dancing. One time, we saw Disney's "Swiss Family Robinson" and I was scared of the giant snake, but it didn't dampen the thrill of watching the movie. My love of the movies continued into adulthood, when I seized the opportunity to take a film class in college. I did an essay/presentation on "the new role of women as warriors" in film, using "Aliens" and "Terminator 2" as my main sources. I had the greatest time doing that project and gleefully got an A+ on it, too. So you can imagine how much I love, and have always loved (since my mom let me watch it) the Academy Awards. I was just explaining to my hubby last night that my love of film segues very easily into my fascination for actors and actresses. "Hi, my name is Becky and I follow celebrities." It's true. I read People and Us Weekly. I watch E! sometimes. And I've even had Oscar parties. You see, the Oscars are my version of the SuperBowl. I used to tape up golden yellow streamers and make tons of party food for a buffet. I handed out ballots and gave out prizes. I even had a red carpet event (consisting of taking each person's picture as they came in the door). Oh I miss those days! Indeed, my love for the Oscars runs deep.

And in years past, so has my disappointment. I used to cringe at the bawdy jokes during the opener and sexual innuendo laced throughout (nobody wants to watch that kind of thing with her dad in the room!). But not last night! Please, Academy, can we always have Hugh Jackman as host? How fabulous was he??? Charming and handsome, his every line was funny (and non-offensive!!!) and his singing ("...I'm Wolverine!") and dancing impeccable. As Marty said, what a classy gentleman, and what a classy show, with the big-band orchestra and the 1920's/30's decorative overtones. Oooh, I never enjoyed an Oscars show quite like the one we had last night! I'm on such a high from it that I couldn't resist a few shout-outs to some of the best and worst:
  1. Anne Hathaway, we are long-lost BFFs. (Did anyone else watch the Barbara Walter's pre-show special?) When you got teary-eyed during Shirley McLaine's tribute to your nominated performance, I got teary-eyed with you. Haven't seen "Rachel Getting Married" yet but I did catch your other bride movie with Kate Hudson -- so cute! Let's go shopping. Smooches!
  2. Angelina Jolie, how flippin' gorgeous are you, and how utterly typical of you to eschew the normal diamond ropes and go for big, fat emeralds? Loved "Changeling" by the way. Deeply disturbing but oh-so-good.
  3. Steve Martin and Tina Fey: please work together. You cracked me up.
  4. Ben Stiller, I want you to know that I laughed until I cried and almost spewed my diet Coke.
  5. Tim Gunn, can we hang out? We thought you did the best job of all the red carpet interviewers, because you didn't act all fake-chummy. And who doesn't respect your opinions on fashion? I remember when I was tempted to stalk you...
  6. "Slumdog Millionaire," please go away. I hate when movies sweep, it's so boring! I mean, the little Indian kids were adorable and I'm sure it's a great movie and all, but it was just...overload.
  7. For your information, Sean Penn, I won't be ashamed if the sanctity of the marital relationship continues to be preserved according to its definition, even up to the time when my grandchildren are around. I respect your right to have an opinion, but don't tell me I should be ashamed of myself for having my opinion. Just exactly who are YOU???
  8. Bill Mahr, please know that you offended 75% of the world's population, who worship a God in some form. Just because you're a raging atheist doesn't mean other people care.
  9. Kid who plays Edward in the "Twilight" movie that I've yet to see...um, you had me at hello.
  10. Meryl Streep, you are a Hollywood goddess, as Kate Winslet says. Just enjoy it!
  11. Kate Winslet, you might be Meryl's successor at the rate you're going. You're so delightfully British and wonderfully talented. I heart you!
  12. Mickey Rourke and for that matter, Robert Downey, Jr.: thank you both for realizing you were worth redemption and a career in the movies. Thank God for second chances.
  13. Ryan Seacrest, please go away. Just...go away. Your face is everywhere and you haven't an ounce of sincerity to your name.
  14. The Academy: thank you for doing what you did for Heath Ledger's family. There wasn't a dry eye in the audience, nor in my living room. I hope they were given a measure of comfort from knowing their son was and is so appreciated.
  15. Finally, Hugh Jackman, please come back next year!

7 comments:

AEG said...

I am devistated I missed the ceremony, I was on a plane, that ONLY got NBC. RUDE.

Thanks for the recap :)

I LOVE ANN TOO! She is SO classy!

Lindsey said...

Great post! I agree with you on everything!! Well said!

I heart your blog, you have a new reader!

Lindsey said...

Loving Twilight!!! I'm about half done with it and I want more more more! =)

Anonymous said...

Yes, I totally agree with everything. I didn't watch all of it - I mean, who doesn't go to the kitchen for a chips and cheese refill while the winner of animated short film gives their speech. Seriously. Just a few things to add to your list. I've never liked Penelope Cruz, but I thought her acceptance speech was very heartfelt, and I appreciated what she said about the value of art in all of its forms. I also enjoyed the genre segments - clips from the year's romantic comedies, action films, etc. I cracked up on the comedy section - those guys on the couch laughing at the dramas. And, of course, LOVE Will Smith. He's one of my faves. My biggest complaint: why was Beyonce Knowles there and why can't she get a stylist? We all know she's curvy and proud of it, but not everything you wear on the red carpet has to be body-hugging. She's like the new Mariah Carey.

I totally remember going to see Return of the Jedi - I think my husband takes real pride in the fact that that was the first movie I saw in the theater. And I was very proud of your Women Warriors paper. I can never watch Linda Hamilton loading her gun with one arm, the other hanging bloody and limp at her side, without thinking of you and that paper.

You and I have always had a special fondness for the Oscars. I distinctly remember arriving at your Oscar party one year wearing pink Tigger pajamas and sunglasses and telling you I was wearing BCBG Max Azria. Once you move back to Indy, you will have to start up that tradition again.

Who was your best dressed? Mine was Amy Adams. I loved the red, the chunky necklace, the hair and makeup - just gorgeous.

Becky said...

You know, I almost put in a comment about Penelope Cruz but I couldn't word it just right -- and you did it for me! For once, she didn't bug me. And I almost hate to say it, but she was my best-dressed. Her gown was vintage and I have a thing for beautiful vintage gowns!!! I like when the actress doesn't feel the need to wear the latest (and craziest) fashion. To wear vintage is to recall old Hollywood glamour, which was so perfectly fitting for the evening. Good job on all fronts, Penelope!
Oh, and the Oscars party will LIVE AGAIN. You heard it here.

The Shabby Princess said...

A. Ditto the Hugh Jackman comments, you know my thoughts on him.
B. "The Musical Is Back" heck yes, Hollywood, heck yes. We need more musicals. They're always just so happy. We need happiness.
C. I knew Sean Penn would win, and I think he's a brilliant actor, but, can't people just accept their awards, thank their families, they crew, agents, etc? I get squirmy when people get all political about it. It's an award. Be gracious.
D. Yay Mickey and Robert for being comeback kids. Even if you didn't win, I love a good comeback.
E. I love Meryl. Anne is amazing. I think Ann, Meryl and Kate should all work together. Or, at least invite us over for afternoon tea.

Ah!

Becky said...

I know! Wouldn't you love to get all dolled up in a fancy gown and hair piled on your head and give/receive cheek kisses with those lovely ladies??? Of course, it might take me a few minutes to get past the awe...