Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Maternity tickers

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

22 weeks' doctor's visit

the arm's-length approach to picture-taking; Mama and Daddy in the waiting room.

Last Friday, Marty and I went to my 22 weeks' appointment with my OB/GYN (as it turns out, 1 of the 3 in the practice). This was our first appointment with Dr. Carrillo (Cah-ree-oh), who I loved nearly immediately and then REALLY loved when she shared that during her own pregnancy, even as a doctor, she had questions and wondered if certain things were normal. She reassured me that doubting and worrying is a state of mind shared by all expecting mothers! That was nice to hear, that what I've been experiencing of late is common. I told her about the insomnia resulting from anxiety, and after asking several questions and reviewing my chart again, she told me I'm doing "marvelously" and if I could just sweat it out for another couple weeks to reach the point of viability, then I'd feel a whole lot better. She said, "Make it to 24 weeks, and we'll be able to do all kinds of things to make sure your baby survives." Then I asked her, "Okay, how do I get through the next 2 weeks???" She just smiled and said, "Try distracting yourself in any way you can." Fortunately, I just happened to have a girls' weekend planned in Charleston starting the very next day (more on that to come!), so the timing appears to have been pretty darn good to be told to go distract myself for a bit!

All in all, it was a great doctor's visit. Will's heartbeat was in the high 140's and low 150's, and Dr. Carrillo said that was perfect. The most amazing finding was that I've gained only EIGHT pounds!!! I'm nearly in third trimester and I'm hoping that my weight gain will continue to be minimal (although my sister Sarah tells me that with her boys, she didn't gain much until third trimester and then she really packed it on at the end! Well, this is one circumstance where I DON'T want to follow in her footsteps...) And honestly, I feel like I look larger than an 8-pound weight gain, so the numbers feel kinda arbitrary anyway. I just want to continue to be semi-comfortable and semi-mobile, along with semi-recognizable, and I'll call it good. My blood pressure continues to be completely normal, although they did find something wonky with my thyroid levels, but since I've had thyroid issues nearly all my life, it will only take a wee adjustment in my meds to fix this. So -- a great report! And only 9 days to go until official viability, then I'll breathe a big sigh of relief and buckle my seatbelt for the remaining ride, hopefully until week 40 (or 39...can you hear Mama, William?). :)

Daddy took pictures of "his babies."

Waiting for Dr. Carrillo.

5 comments:

Kate said...

Oh, you guys are so cute, all three of you. Isn't it nice to have a good ob/gyn? It's such a tremendous relief to actually like the person who is going to deliver you from the seemingly-interminable state of pregnancy, and your precious baby into the world!

Unknown said...

Too cute! :) I gained 60 pounds with Nellianne!!! Fortunately over 1/2 of it has just shed off on it's own -- and I just got released for exercise, etc. this week. You look great!!

Anonymous said...

Wormie, you look absolutely GORGEOUS!!! I don't think I've ever seen you look lovelier. Dang. That's all I can say. If I looked that good pregnant, I'd be pregnant all the time! :) You're going to make it all the way, I just know it!!!

Tonia said...

Your SO cute!!! Don't even worry about the weight gain. Really. In the whole scope of life it is so minimal!! Take care!!

The Mrs. said...

You're doing great!!!! I keep a journal where I just talk to the baby and tell her what's happnening. It helps to calm me down!