Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Maternity tickers

Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Viral infection, Day 9


When I went to see my doctor (OB/GYN; because apparently PCPs don't want to treat you if you're pregnant, who knew?) last week about the worst cold ever, he ran a strep test (which was negative) and looked down my throat, in my ears, etc. He pronounced me sick with a virus and recommended TheraFlu, sleep, and fluids. He also told me I'd "probably feel miserable for 7-10 days." Well, Dr. Hinton, here I am on Day 9, and I'm still sniffly, sneezy, and stuffed up, not to mention the fact that I haven't been able to hear out of my left ear for 2 solid days. And "miserable" doesn't really come close. All I did all weekend, besides completely wear myself out with a 2-hour trip to WalMart, was sleep. Or lie on the couch in a semi-comatose state. Because I have no energy to do anything else! Meanwhile, my laundry is piling up and my to-do list has begun mocking me. I have exactly 2 weeks until I start an extremely busy week/weekend in Indiana, with a 3-day business trip, immediately followed by my baby shower on May 9th. I have to be up to snuff to focus on my work and all the meetings I'll be in, and of course I want to feel good so I can enjoy seeing so many loved ones at my baby shower!

I've heard that "every pregnancy has its cold" but this cold is threatening to stick around for the duration, or at least it seems so. I actually felt better on Friday but I should have known it was just the eye of the storm, teasing me with a brief reprieve.

Anyway, here I sit, on Day 9, having exhausted 3 boxes of Kleenex and living in fear that my son will be born addicted to Tylenol. I'm getting ready to go make another pot of decaf Earl Grey tea and hope I can concentrate on my work for this afternoon.

I'm getting desperate to feel better! Does anyone have any pregnancy-safe suggestions for kicking a cold to the curb, once and for all?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain, Wormie! Around 3:00-ish this morning (up studying for a test), my throat began to get soar, and now I am on the verge of full-scale sickyhood. I've had about six or seven cups of tea today, and since I only drink hot tea when I'm dying, that ought to tell you something. This couldn't have come at a worse time! I have final projects to work on! Hope you get feeling better VERY soon!

Kate said...

Not that it's any consolation, but a lot of women's pregnancy colds last much longer than normal...higher hormone levels increase something in your sinuses (don't remember what)...hot water with lemon all day long for a few more days! Hang in there.

The Shabby Princess said...

Oh no!! I hope you feel better soon my dear. I'm so sorry you're so sick--but, on the upside (maybe?) at least you're sick now and not with a newborn.

hugs!