Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Maternity tickers

Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Babymoon!

Here's a rundown of our babymoon...
  • We didn't get on the road until Saturday at noon. This pregnant body moves like a tortoise these days, plus I really wanted pancakes for breakfast. Then of course, you know how you can't leave your house until the kitchen is cleaned, sofa cushions rearranged, bed made, and your iPod loaded up with new tunes? Ugh. My pet peeve as a little girl was how long it took my parents to get going on the morning of a vacation; I would dance around in eagerness while they loaded coolers and suitcases, singing "let's goooooooooooo already!" Now I get it. Anyway, we finally got on the road and because it was Memorial Day weekend and a certain husband of mine is trying to obey speed limits these days (I'll let you guess why), we arrived exactly 5 hours later. What was a 3.5-hour trip in my flawed memory from March is actually a 4.5-hour trip that was extended to 5 hours from the law-obeying and pit stops and traffic. I was able to sleep a good portion of the way, though, and a nap in a sunny, moving car is always one of my favorite ways to sleep (I know, I'm weird).
  • So we arrived at our hotel and checked in, then I drove downtown to give Marty his first peek at downtown Charleston. I'm amazed at my inner GPS system; it rarely fails me. I've visited Charleston a dozen times or so, but I haven't driven all that much during my visits, so I'm very thankful when landmarks and streets come so easily to memory (how did the length of the trip get so morphed, though?). We parked along the Battery and watched sailboats and motorboats and pelicans all doing their thing along the Ashley River, then it was off to the Mustard Seed (restaurant) on James Island to meet Leslie and her boyfriend Alex for dinner. And here's where Trip Disappointment #1 comes into play: we failed to take pictures of our evening, and then the next day, too! We only got pictures from Monday, which I'll share when I get to that point, but we just kept failing to pull out the silly camera. Anyway, we had a fabulous time with Lessy and Alex (we heart him!) and laughed our rears off all the way from sitting down through coffee and dessert. You know, you really appreciate friends so much more when you're isolated in a tiny Tennessee town most of the time!
  • Sunday morning we woke up to a drizzly rain and a very heavy, overcast sky -- we checked the forecast and sure enough, rain was predicted until the middle of the week. And here's where Trip Disappointment #2 came in...in the words of Jane Eyre..."there was no possibility of a [photo-shoot] that day." I called Leslie and she, Marty, and I did a round-robin kind of conversation in which we decided to a) call off the shoot (meant to be outdoors) for that weekend, and b) meet back up in Charleston next weekend. That's right -- we're going BACK to Charleston next weekend. Besides the drive, and the fact that I'll be further along and bigger, there's really nothing impeding us from going back, and Marty is actually quite pumped about it. We really had THAT good of a time! (Not to mention that the forecast for next weekend is filled with sunshine...)
  • So...we decided on doing some indoor activities, including practically my favorite thing to do in Charleston -- shopping on King Street!!! We started out in that mecca of French country furniture and accessories, Pierre Deux. Kids, I've been getting their catalog for probably a decade, but have never once purchased anything. That all changed on my babymoon! One of the greatest things about my husband is the fact that he and I share the same sense of style and taste in most everything, especially in home decor (Marty's Aunt Becky is all about French country, and Marty was her shopping companion for many years in New York, so he had quite an education at the feet of a master!). Anyway, we spent nearly 2 hours in the store, debating purchasing this or that addition to our home. We finally decided on two red toile lamp shades, on sale 20% off. If I hadn't been pregnant and already tired, I would have jumped up and down and clapped in sheer joy! Then it was on to Brooks Brothers, and it was time to spoil my husband for awhile. Wives out there, I'm sure you know how great it feels to let your hubby run a wee little loose in his favorite store, whether that's Best Buy or Home Depot or, in my Marty's case, Brooks Brothers. I sat in a leather chair sipping my Starbucks iced coffee, just enjoying every second of the ear-to-ear grin splitting my husband's face. It was worth every penny we spent! (Not to mention the fact that he looked so darn sharp when he walked out of the house this morning...) Then we were off to Kids on King, a sweet little baby boutique. There we found the cutest little newborn formal attire, so we bought William his baptismal outfit (nope, not a long white robe; just a cute little baby-blue, starched-cotton one-piece with a white collar). We also found infant crib shoes in white leather to go with his outfit. I can't wait to see how he looks in it! I'll take a picture and post it soon, but definitely later since this post is already approaching boring in its length...(sorry, it is my journal, you know!)
  • Next it was off to Magnolia's, a quite famous restaurant on East Bay Street in Charleston. Here's the dinner menu, because I want you to see how uniquely Southern yet completely gourmet this restaurant is! We had fried green tomatoes for our appetizer (YUM-MEE) then Marty had the Grilled Yellowfin Tuna while I had the Shellfish over Grits. We were both so impressed with our meals that we were speechless at first. I've never tasted such fabulous scallops in my life, and the experience has sparked a new craving for scallops! (If only I could get that lobster sauce they served with the scallops...)
  • After we rolled out of the restaurant, we decided to close out the day with a walk on the pier at Folly Beach. I have to tell you that Charleston, and especially Folly Beach, are "touchstone" places for me. I have pondered my life at various turning points right there on that sand, and most recently, pondered it right before I met Marty and my life changed forever. So visiting Folly Beach with Marty felt like closing a circle that had always been open and hanging before he came into my world. The rain was holding off again by that point but there was another big storm building in the horizon, so the fishers and surfers were out en force. We sat on the pier and watched the surfers catch the waves, and just talked about life and the coming arrival of our son. It's just so very nice to watch the ocean and dream with one's honey. Ahhhhh. :)
  • Finally, before this post outgrows its welcome (too late!), we woke up Monday morning/Memorial Day to an overcast, muggy day. We knew we had to leave by noon in order to have some lazy time at home, so we planned an early-in-the-day expedition out to Ft. Sumter. And here are the only pix captured on our babymoon!

Charleston, aka, "the Holy City"

Marty enjoying the boat ride, in what I call his "JFK" pose. :)

Boat hair!!!

Ft. Sumter from a distance...

...and Ft. Sumter close up.

The king captures the castle...

...and then threatens to take Charleston, too. :)

A 200+ year-old fireplace -- can you imagine the stories and secrets it's heard? From both Union and Confederate soldiers!

A view of the Cooper River Bridge (sits just to the right of Charleston downtown, looking from the harbor) from the ramparts(?) of Ft. Sumter.

  • Marty and I both found it very meaningful to be at Ft. Sumter on Memorial Day. All weekend we'd been engaged in something of a Dixie vs. Yankee debate about the legality and morality of secession, and visiting Ft. Sumter really brought home to me the awesome task that Lincoln faced in preserving the Union that had been so carefully built by our founding fathers. And how that same Union, which would become the 50 United States of America, would be fought for and kept safe from enemies by so many succeeding generations, including both my grandfathers and both of Marty's grandfathers. We remembered them all (my Grandpa Waltz is the only one still with us) on Monday, and were so thankful for the time and energies they sacrificed and the blood they spilled for this country and for us. Thank you again, Papa Conway, "Pop" Lucic, Grandpa Wood, and Grandpa Waltz. You are an ongoing inspiration to your grandchildren! We love you!
  • And there you have it, kids. No maternity pictures yet, but hopefully those are coming soon! To be continued next weekend...

1 comment:

The Shabby Princess said...

I am so glad you were able to enjoy your babymoon--even if it was rainy. I've never been and have always wanted to go to Charleston. We have family in Georgia, so, I'm a Savannah girl at heart, but have never made it to Charleston.. Boo. Hugs my dear!