Lilypie First Birthday tickers
Lilypie Maternity tickers

Sunday, December 21, 2008

the (late) December list

What I'm reading: What to Expect When You're Expecting. Of course. Although I've found it sadly insufficient in many areas. Does anybody like the Q&A format? I surely don't. Does anybody have any better suggestions for pregnancy reading? I also just finished reading Remember Me? by the same girlie who wrote all the lovely Shopaholic books. Every now and then I need a British chick-lit fix!

What we're spending on: Christmas, but thankfully that's almost finished. With 4 days to spare...seriously, without online shopping and my sweet UPS lady (who asks me about the baby every time I see her now, since she's seen me disheveled and ill and pale so often!), there would be practically zero Christmas for my loved ones. Also, my sweet husband took me on a bit of a shopping spree in Motherhood (maternity store) last night. All I can say is, pregnancy jeans are IT. I mean, hello beautiful comfort!!! Now I don't dread getting out of pajamas, and that's a big deal for me right now.

What we're saving for: Yup, still those king-size mattresses. Although I'm really proud of us -- we were able to sock away some of our Christmas gift money, and the plan is to have our mattresses and fully ensconced in bed-heaven by next month!

What I need to do: Send Christmas cards; send packages to friends and family in North Carolina, Mississippi, and New York; buy a couple of stocking stuffers; do all my laundry and pack to leave for Christmas vacation (nearly 2 weeks' worth!) on Tuesday afternoon! Yee-haw! Family and north, here we come!

What I'm thinking about: my baby, mostly. What mama-to-be doesn't think often of her baby as he or she is being formed in her womb? It occupies quite of bit of my mental activity these days. We've already picked out names, I've had inspiration for a girl's nursery (I will need serious help with a boy's nursery), and oddly, we already got the full prenatal care bill (yeah, that's up to and including JULY). So, a lot of the practical things have been done or are being taken care of, leaving me time to think about more profound things, like what kind of mama will I be???

What I'm working on: Planning lots of changes in the New Year. More on that to come...

What I'm happy about: Seeing Marty be excited about his baby...it blesses me so much to experience HIS happiness about the babe. Also, getting to spend nearly 2 weeks with family and friends...and especially my nieces and nephews. There's nothing like experiencing Christmas with children, is there? Also, being on the very cusp of turning the corner into second trimester. Just a few days to go, and relief from fatigue and sickness is (supposedly) in sight!

4 comments:

Kate said...

And the friends are so happy they will get to see you! Drive safely from IN to MI. We have horrid wind chills and piles of snow, so pick your travel days according to the weather, k? Can't wait!

ei said...

Oh, no, no, no, no! Put down What to Expect... right away! You're right that it is incomplete in some areas, and- even worse- it is shaming and outdated in many, many others. It causes more worry than comfort. I will get you the name of the book I found for my second pregnancy- so much better! Clear, detailed, full of options and comfort!

Unknown said...

Books to get: The Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy by Vicki Iovine, Belly Laughs by Jenny McCarthy, and, A Child is Born - which Conrad and I found to be the most straight forward and helpful...along with the really AWESOME photos! :) I would say ditch What to Expect...I thought it was boring and soooo not helpful! :) How you feeling these days?

Tonia said...

Some suggestions on pregnancy reading...The Girlfriends Guide to Pregnancy! Loved it! And also going to babycenter.com. I loved that site when I was preggo with my last child. You can connect with women who are due the same month as you and they have many wonderful aritcles!! That is my 2 cents anyway. I just stumbled onto your blog :)
Tonia